Thursday, October 25, 2018

Beer O'Clock: Keeping It Simple

I find myself overthinking beer. And it's not hard to do.

Think of those New England IPAs, with their hazy and rich colours, big, tropical aromas, and fruit-filled flavours. Think of chocolate stouts with hints of raspberries. Think of blueberry wheat ales.

I've almost come to expect a lot going on in my pint glass, and that expectation is to my detriment. Now, I expect every beer that I try to be something more. It's almost as though I've come to think, if it's simple, it's no good.

And that simply isn't true.

A few weeks ago, as DW and I were enjoying a night of theatre at The Gladstone, just off Corsa Italia (Preston Street, Little Italy), I noticed that a selection of one of Ottawa's recent local breweries was available from the bar. I had heard of Vimy Brewing Company but had never tried their beer, and so I grabbed a pint of their cream ale to take to my seat.

That night, I enjoyed both the play and the beer.

I promised myself that I would visit the brewery, as part of my search for Ottawa's best breweries, and would bring home a sample of their offerings.

With a name like Vimy, I thought that the brewery might be somewhere in Riverside South, not very far from the Vimy Memorial Bridge. I couldn't have been more wrong: in fact, I was very close to the brewery when DW and I were at The Gladstone. Coming from Preston, you pass the theatre on Gladstone Avenue, cross over the O-Train line, and hang a right onto Loretta Avenue N.


The brewery is in a spacious area, with a lounge for intimate gatherings, a tap room with plenty of tables for a party, and, of course, the brewing facility. There's a long bar in the tap room, where you can enjoy a pint on premises or pick up a few cans to take home.

I picked up two of everything and left.

At home, I decided to first try the brewery's seasonal ale, the Vimy Wheat Ale. It's a Hefeweizen with great aromas of banana that carry through to the palate, where it's mixed with spice and washes down really well. So far, it's my favourite brew from Vimy, but I wanted to take a closer look at the ale that brought my attention to this brewing company, and so I'm going to review its flagship brew.
Vimy Cream Ale (5% ABV)
Vimy Brewing Company
1-145 Loretta Avenue, Ottawa
(Hey, notice that I've started adding the address? Because I've decided to limit my reviews to Ottawa-area breweries, I thought I'd be specific about where the brewery is located.)

Appearance: a clear, deep gold, with lots of effervescence and a foamy, off-white head that leaves a solid cap and remains throughout the session.

Nose: strong odours of straw and a bit of creamed corn.

Palate: creamy and malty, with a gentle finish.

Overall impression: at first, I thought I was faced with a dilemma. While I enjoyed drinking it at the theatre, I think my attention was on the production and not on my pint. All I knew was that after the first sip, I thought it was a nice cream ale, and then the lights when down and the show started.

Drinking it with discerning attention, I still thought it was a good cream ale, but deep down, I think I was looking for something more. I think of my previous reviews of beer that was in my face with flavours and aromas. Here, I had a simple cream ale.

Simple.

But what's wrong with simple?

I looked for a flaw in the ale, something I could criticize, and I couldn't find anything. I thought of other cream ales I've had, and Vimy's version was right there with those expectations.

There was nothing wrong with this beer: there was something wrong with me.

Vimy Cream Ale is a solid cream ale that refreshed and was quite enjoyable. It's everything you would expect in this type of beer, and it's no surprise that it won the gold medal for lagered ale at the 2018 Ontario Brewing Awards.

This is a beer for everyone. It needs no gimmick or added flavour. It's a classic cream ale.

Don't overthink it: just enjoy it.

It's also available at the LCBO, and in stores, restaurants, and pubs across the province. Oh, and also at The Gladstone, along with their red ale and pale ale.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment