Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Drive Through The Woods

The Gatineau Hills is one of the greatest spots to check out the fall colours. There are plenty of fabulous walking trails and lookouts where you can see the Ottawa Valley meet the Canadian Shield.

There are ruins, historical places, and waterfalls. At this time of year, the leaves make all of it magical.

Of course, I love to drive through Gatineau Park up to the Champlain Lookout, where you have one of the most beautiful vistas in the region. However, at this time of year, it can sometimes be a challenge to drive the parkways because of all the other people, in their cars, with the same desire to take in the scenery.

Forget about driving through Gatineau on the weekends: sometimes, the bumper-to-bumper traffic starts in Chelsea. Cyclists can climb the hills faster than cars.

If you've never driven through Gatineau Park but don't want to get caught in a long line, fear not: I have driven it for you. Last Friday, after work, I drove up to the Champlain Lookout. It was early enough in the afternoon that I didn't meet much traffic—although, there was that one slowpoke who drove less than 40 kph from the Fortune Parkway turnoff to the end of the Champlain Parkway.

When I arrived at the loop at the top, it wasn't packed and I was able to park right at the lookout. I sat on the top wall and took in the spectacular view, and then moved to the lower level for some more photos, before returning to the car.


(My office is only about a 20-minute drive from the Champlain Lookout, so I come up often and don't need to hang around for very long.)

Once in my car, I decided to attach my smartphone to a mount on my windshield, which I bought a few weeks ago for when I need my phone for navigation. But I've also started using my phone as a dash-cam, recording my trips to and from work.

I decided to record the drive down from the Champlain Lookout. With a quick stop and view of the Huron Lookout.

I doubled the speed of the video and stopped recording before I reached the end of the Champlain Parkway. What I have is about six-and-a-half minutes of video that goes down some of the steepest parts of the parkway.

I've cycled this route many times. On the way down, pedalling hard, I've reached speeds on my bike that have exceeded 70 kph. I've often muttered to myself, "please don't wipe out... please don't wipe out..."

Despite the numerous signs that prohibit you from parking, you'll see some bozos who have pulled over. One guy just stopped in the middle of the road.

Idiots.

There's no sound to this video because I couldn't find a suitable song that lasts 6:36. If you can think of one, let me know. When I drove this route, I was enjoying Ella Fitzgerald, The Watchmen, and Matt Good.

If you can't make it up to the Gatineau Park, this is your next-best thing. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment