Tuesday, October 2, 2018

BKPW Redux

Do you remember about a week and a half ago, when I was supposed to host a photo walk around Parliament Hill? It never happened.

Stupid weather.

On the day before, I watched the weather forecast closely because it didn't look promising: mix of clear skies and clouds, with a chance of rain, possibly thunderstorms in the late afternoon to early evening. Winds were going to pick up, with gusts between 70 and 80 kph.

I contacted the photographers who registered, let them know that I would stay on top of the weather; by the next morning, the day of the walk, I would make a decision.

On my way to work on Friday, September 21, it was overcast, but there were promises of clearing later in the morning. The afternoon, however, still called for a chance of rain. That risk of thunderstorms still loomed. But the wind was still promising to be fierce.

I mean, who wants to trust a camera on a tripod in a wind storm? When I arrived at work, I contacted the photogs and said the walk would be postponed to Friday, October 5.

And then the weather improved, and I began to wonder if I had made the right call.

In the afternoon, clouds formed and moved on, but on my homebound commute, the weather wasn't bad, except for the wind. We may still want to forego tripods, I thought, but if this was as bad as it gets, I'll be kicking myself for postponing.

And then the tornadoes hit. Stupid weather.

Power was out across the city and neighbourhoods were severely damaged.

My call was the right one, unfortunately.

However, the photo walk is now on for this Friday. The route is the same but because the sun will now set earlier than two weeks previous, we will walk it in a counter-clockwise direction.


We're still meeting at the Centennial Flame at 6pm. Though cool, the weather looks like it's promising to behave.

For details and to register for this event, go to my Eventbrite page. If you've already registered, you're still on the list. If September 21 didn't work for you, perhaps you can come out this Friday.

I hope to see you there.


No comments:

Post a Comment