Tuesday, October 30, 2018

FML

Just when there was light at the end of the tunnel...

The reconstructive surgery on my foot is just over two weeks away and it can't come soon enough. With the cool, damp weather of autumn settling in, the joints in my feet are at their worst and I'm hobbling more than ever.

For those of you who haven't heard about my feet, you can start reading here.

Because of my impending operation, I'm unable to receive any of the steroid shots to relieve the osteoarthritis, and because the last round of shots has worn off, I'm experiencing a high level of pain. I'm hopeful that I can receive those shots shortly after surgery, though I'm doubtful they'll want to mess around with the left foot.

I'll be in a cast for that foot for three months.

But just as the end seemed near for my feet, more bad news has sprung up.

Because of the condition of my feet, I've been modifying my gait over the years to compensate. Over time, my knees started to feel sore and even more recently, my hips have been stiffening up, particularly on my left side.

Not surprising, since it's my left foot that's in the biggest spot of bother.

But for the last couple of weeks, my left hip has been giving me so much trouble that the pain is starting to surpass the discomfort in my feet, and that has made me somewhat concerned, so I made an appointment to see my doctor.

She agreed that by compensating for my feet, I might be putting additional strain on my other joints. She also suspected that I may have bursitis, and gave me a requisite for x-rays on both hips. A week later, she had the results and gave me the news.

More arthritis, in both hips.

I don't know what my next steps are. My doctor sent me the results just before she left for a vacation and I'm not sure if I'll have an opportunity to see her before I go under the knife.

Just take the whole leg, I say. Take 'em both.

I'm almost afraid to talk about my knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment