Friday, April 3, 2020

Photo Friday: Sunset by the Side of the Road

I know that during this pandemic, we ought to stay indoors, save for exercise such as a walk or run around your neighbourhood. But last Friday, I really needed to get out by myself.

So, I grabbed my camera gear, hopped in the Niro, and drove.

I had no planned destination, no pre-conceived notions of what I wanted to photograph. I just got in the car, and drove.

When sunset came, I was driving on country roads to the southwest of the city and toward Richmond. When the sun fell low on the horizon, I could see it across a flooded farm field, through bare trees. I pulled the Niro over and got out. I walked back to where the water, which came from the melted snow but couldn't be absorbed into the frozen earth, was casting reflections of the trees.

I think that these are my first series of sunset photos for 2020. If you want to see them, check them out on Instagram.

Of all the photos I shot of the sunset, my favourite of the bunch is the one in which I included my car. It sums up what I was up to and I had a title for the photo even as I was composing it in the frame: Sunset by the Side of the Road.


My drive continued back toward town and I ended up in the ByWard Market, which had turned into a ghost town. I took pictures in Major's Hill Park and at the National Gallery before heading home. If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you may have seen those photos already but I'll share them next week, for Wordless Wednesday.

Happy Friday!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment