Thursday, February 17, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Finch Pale Ale

A few weeks ago, I learned something new: goldfinches change their appearance during the winter months.

For the past few years, DW and I have enjoyed the myriad birds that have visited the feeder in our backyard. Chickadees, nuthatches, cardinals, and juncos. We have even been surprised to find a couple of Downey woodpeckers visit our feeder.

Finches are common sightings on our feeder. We get house finches, purple finches, and goldfinches. But until recently, I'd only see goldfinches during the summer, with their bright-yellow plumage distinct and easily spottable in the green and purple leaves of our chokecherry.

Because I never saw our yellow friends in the winter months, I assumed that they simply moved on when the weather got colder.

Not so.

A few weeks ago, I saw a round-bellied, yellow-throated bird at my feeder and reached for my binoculars. "New bird!" I called to DW, getting her attention. I passed her the binoculars and went for one of my D-SLRs, adding my 300mm lens to it.

Having never seen a bird that looked like it before, I sent the photo to my Twitter followers, to see if they could identify it for me. It looked finch-like but I added that it wasn't a goldfinch.

I was wrong.

And that's how I learned, from my bird-loving photographer friend, Karen, that goldfinches change their plumage and indeed do stay in our neighbourhood.

Another finch that I discovered, recently, is one that doesn't literally fly but had me soaring to new heights and ready to sing its praises. And while I thought this Finch Pale Ale, by Bicycle Craft Brewery, might be better suited to summer months, I found it quite enjoyable in the middle of winter.

Let's take a close look at it. (No binoculars necessary.)

Finch Pale Ale (4.5% ABV)
Bicycle Craft Brewery
Ottawa ON

Appearance: mostly clear (slightly unfiltered), rich gold with a sudsy-white head that settles to a tight lace.

Nose: floral aromas mixed with lychee and a touch of pineapple.

Palate: fresh mango and distinct pineapple, with a kiss of lime on the finish. This is a clean, tropical ale.

Overall impression: while I tend to reach for this type of ale in hotter weather, I found it hit the spot on a winter's afternoon. Finch hit all the right notes in aroma, mouth feel, and finish. It's flavourful yet light, and I would reach for one any time.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺

Finch pale ale is available at the brewery or it can be ordered online. There's free shipping in Ottawa and can be delivered throughout Ontario for a modest $12 fee (a minimum order of $40 is required for these delivery rates).

I imagine that Finch Pale Ale is flying off the store shelves so capture some while you can.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment