Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Breathe

It's the first thing we do from the moment we leave our mothers.

It's the last thing we do when it's our time to expire.

Far too often, the time in between those acts, we find that the trials and tribulations of this meagre existence get to be too much, and the struggles weigh heavy upon us and make it hard to breathe. Just breathe.

When this happens, we need to take ourselves away from the familiar and give ourselves time to just focus on ourselves. To leave those burdens behind.

And simply breathe.

On our first morning in Akumal Bay, on the Mayan Riviera in Mexico, DW and I began our day, rising before sunrise and walking the beach, where we came upon a facility that was beginning a meditation class. I had never been to a meditation class before, but was open to trying it.

We had left Ottawa, leaving the stress of the Parliamentary District occupation and the pandemic behind. And we wanted to get that stress out of our heads and off of our chests, and begin our vacation with a clear mind.

Positive thoughts only.

We arranged our mats, blankets, and cushions on the outdoor deck, facing the beach and sunrise. Though the sun had been up for a few minutes, only now was it showing itself through the distant clouds. I snapped one photo before putting my smartphone away and putting my mind in the present.


Once we were in a comfortable position, our guide had us focusing on breathing. Of dropping our shoulders and relaxing, focusing only on the air entering our bodies and flowing out again. Deep breaths, in and out.

While my concentration was on breathing, my ears still registered the crashing of the waves, the chirping of the birds, high above, in the trees. Deep breaths, in and out.

It seemed like an eternity before our meditation guide spoke again. His voice was so soft, so gentle, as though it came with the waves in the surf. Leave the past behind, don't look to the future, he prompted us, just be in the present. Just breathe, deeply, slowly, in and out.

Find inspiration in every breath, our guide suggested. Be fascinated by simply breathing.

My breathing coincided with the rhythm of the waves. With every breath, my chest felt lighter and lighter. The trials and tribulations of my meagre existence were washed away. I felt as though the wind could carry me away.

I felt that my body was recharging. No more worrying about what was going on back home. No thoughts about returning home after vacation. I was just living in the moment, just enjoying life in the now.

Our session over, I was ready to start fresh. The real vacation begins now.

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, just remember to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment