Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Not In China

I'm not one to watch the Olympic Games in the best of times, but I made a point to tune out anything to do with last year's Tokyo Olympics because I felt that it was wrong to have such a social event in the middle of a global pandemic.

I feel the same about the Beijing Olympics but I'm doubly against these games because of the atrocities being committed by the Chinese government against the Uyghur people in Xinjiang, on top of the myriad human rights offenses against other Chinese citizens. As a Canadian, I am further disgusted by the political games that kept Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig wrongfully imprisoned for nearly three years.

There are many reasons to dislike the Chinese government and to snub the Olympic Games.

That said, China is a beautiful country and the people I met, when DW and I visited in 1998, were kind and lovely. Last week, for the Chinese New Year, we ordered food from a local Chinese restaurant to help celebrate the beginning of the Year of the Tiger.

But I will never set foot in China as long as human rights continue and genocide is committed against a minority group that have made that country their home.

When The Conqueror Virtual Challenges app introduced a new route, late last year, I had reservations in joining it. The challenge follows the length of the Great Wall, a 3,513.1-kilometre trek that starts in Laulongtou, in the east, and ends in Yangguan, in the west.

I wondered that, by being in China, even virtually, was I going against my word to not set foot in China again?

The answer is of course not. My vow is against the government, not against the country itself.

Years ago, when I saw the division between Americans in the United States, I vowed to never set foot in that country again. People be crazy over there, I told myself. I've kept that promise but I did join the virtual challenge to travel Route 66, from Chicago to Santa Monica. I told myself at that time that the US has a lot of beautiful sights and while I won't see them in person, there was nothing stopping me from seeing them, virtually.

Sadly, most of Route 66 is a boring trek that passes shopping malls and flat, featureless landscapes.

I visited the Great Wall in 1998, realizing a dream that I had since elementary school. In participating in the virtual journey along the Great Wall, I'm revisiting that dream.


I can still speak out against the Chinese government while virtually travelling one of the great wonders of the world.

I started my virtual journey yesterday. It's only a coincidence that the beginning of this challenge is happening during the Beijing Olympics. The majority of the trek will be after the games are finished and I won't be following them, anyway.


Photos from the street view at the beginning of the wall, in Shihebi.

It took me 147 days to complete Route 66, which is longer by about 150 kms. If I can do this trek in 140 days or fewer, I'll be happy.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment