Monday, February 14, 2022

Travelling Light

I've left my D-SLR cameras behind. If I couldn't fit a camera in a pocket, it was staying behind.

One suitcase that had to fit my clothes, snorkel gear, footwear, and laptop. I wanted to be able to hop on the plane and hop off with as much ease as possible.

I really need to get out of Dodge but I don't need to take everything.

About nine months ago, DW booked us a vacation to Mexico. Ever since our trip, in 2019, she has wanted to return to the bay where we could swim with sea turtles. From the day we returned home, she has placed a resort on a watch list for a great offer: the resort is usually beyond our budget, so she wanted to know whenever its rates dropped.

They dropped last May, so DW booked us right away.

Later in the year, when she felt she couldn't wait for February, she also booked us a place in Cuba. It seemed that the winter of 2021–2022 was going to include two Caribbean vacations.

When the Omicron variant of COVID exploded in Canada, we were already on our way to Cuba. Just two days before we returned home, the Canadian government issued a travel advisory, and I thought that our Mexican vacation would be scrapped.

I didn't want to travel to Mexico in the middle of this latest wave but with hospitalization rates dropping and restrictions lifting, I feel this is a good time.

And with the Free-Dumb Convoy still not fully cleared out of Ottawa, now is a good time to get away.

Several times over the past few months and before this past week, I had asked DW to cancel our vacation, or at the very least to postpone it. But she told me to wait, that we had several weeks in which to cancel for a full refund, and she was closely monitoring conditions in Mexico and the rules around travel.

When the last day for a full refund came, DW said that we could reschedule our trip but wanted to wait further. We could reschedule up to three days before departure and she still wanted to hold off.

Omicron cases seem to have dropped off in many places and there has been speculation that the PCR test requirements may even be lifted for returning to Canada. (As of the writing of this post, nothing has changed.) But either way, waiting had paid off because even I am back on board for this vacation.

We're currently in Akumal Bay, on the Mayan Riviera. The beach that backs onto our resort is in the same bay where we swam with turtles in 2019.

In all honesty, I can't think of a better place to spend Valentine's Day.

And we've travelled light. One suitcase, each, to carry it all. No waiting around turnstiles with massive crowds.

I've brought two 360-degree cameras and my smartphone, so I will be capturing images. The posts for tomorrow, Wednesday, and Friday will be written and posted from here, in Mexico. Hopefully, I'll be back in Ottawa, in time for work, next Monday. The computer is with me in case anything delays my return flight and I have to remain, so that I can work from here.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment