Monday, February 28, 2022

Love Bites

Ever since DW and I have been working from home, and especially since we went away, last December, to Cuba, our eldest cat, Camille, has turned very affectionate.

For as long as we have had her, she's been a funny cat. She pees in our ensuite bathroom sink. She likes to be around people but she doesn't like to be petted on her back as she walks past (she sinks her back toward the ground in an unnatural way to avoid being touched).

She'll pick up her cat food with her paw, one kibble piece at a time, and move it from the dish to the floor before she eats it. She'll grab one of DW's or the kids' hair elastics and will throw it into the air before hopping into the air to catch it.

When I had moved my work desk into the basement, Camille would sleep in a chair next to me, and would eventually move onto my lap while I worked. She'd purr while I stroked her and would occasionally lick the hand that pet her.

Camille didn't like the youngest cats, Finn and Cece, often swatting at them when they tried to get close to her. She'd hiss as she strutted past them.

When DW and I went to Cuba, Camille was forced to stay indoors with Cece and Finn. My parents came over, daily, to check on the cats but wouldn't let Camille go outside—she's the only cat of ours allowed in the backyard. My folks wouldn't have been able to get her in when it was time for them to head out, so she was forced to be an indoor cat while we were away.

Upon our return home, I discovered that a couple of panels of our fence had blown down, likely during a wind storm that hit the city while we were gone. Because the ground was frozen, and because our backyard neighbours had done nothing, I decided to wait until the spring before I would do anything about it.

Camille would have to remain indoors until we could ensure that she'd stay in our yard only (she isn't a jumper and can't get over the fence).

But we noticed that Camille also seemed to get along with the other cats. She had stopped hissing and swiping. She'd curl up next to them if they were sleeping. I even caught her cleaning Cece and Finn's faces at various times.

And Camille was purposely coming up to me to get a belly rub, and she'd curl up to DW on the sofa or next to me on the bed.

Last week, after a spin workout and I had gotten dressed again, I decided to continue watching TV in our bedroom, where we have the spin bike (I watch TV while I spin). I lay on the bed, atop the sheets, with my feet to the pillows and my head toward the screen, on my belly.

Camille jumped onto the bed and lay on my back. She had never done this before, and I could feel her purring.

"Good girl," I softly told her. I pulled out my smartphone and took a shot, which I texted to DW.


She responded with a purry meow, clearly showing her contentment.

And that's when she bit me between my shoulder blades.

She didn't bite particularly hard but it surprised me and hurt a bit.

"Ow!" I exclaimed. "What are you doing?"

Another purr-infused mew and another bite.

"Camille!" I said, "No!"

Another bite. She also burrowed her head into my back.

DW, coming into the room after seeing the photo, took Camille off my back. Camille was still purring and looking very contented.

"That's her way of telling you she loves you," DW said.

"I wish she loved me a little less," was my response.

I love how Camille has become more affectionate and I especially love how she now gets along with the other cats.

I don't love how she shows her love. Her love bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment