Thursday, December 1, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Dazed In a Haze

I was really confused when I saw this beer can.

Dazed and confused? Maybe.

The can is beautiful: neon green with a psychedelic pattern of flowers, ferns, and various coloured butterflies. Written in an arch at the top of the pattern are the words Butterfly Window. Below, in smaller print, read Terrance & the High Flyers, which was repeated at the top of the can, in black font on top of the green that seemed to run all the way around the can but stopped at the back, with a white, vertical banner that indicated that this was a NEIPA.

Things where starting to make a bit more sense but I still had questions. At the top of the white banner, in a script font, read ArBrū, Soundcraft, and the name of the beer, which I'll get to in a moment.

I was confused by what Butterfly Window and Terrance & the High Flyers had to do with what was in the can. Or what and who they even were. There was just too much going on with the can that I wasn't going to take the time to figure everything out, but I knew I was holding a NEIPA and I wanted to give it a try, so I picked up a second can and headed with my other purchases to the cashier.

A white circle to the lower-left side of the front pattern shows a QRC and told me to "Scan To Play." And on closer inspection, next to the top, where Terrance & the High Flyers is printed on the green part of the label, I had discerned that this is the name of a band, from Ottawa, whose genre is labelled Retrock. I didn't scan the code but I went to their Web site and streamed their album, Butterfly Window, while I reviewed the beer.

Now that the outside of the can was figured out, it was time to focus on what is inside.

Dazed In A Haze NEIPA (6% ABV)
ArBrū Solar Brewery
Mallorytown ON

Appearance: a cloudy, grapefruit-juice orange with a creamy-white head that settles to a solid cap that stays firmly in place. There's quite a bit of sediment to this ale as it comes out of the can but it seems to dissolve into the glass (I couldn't see a lot at the bottom of my glass).

Nose: grapefruit comes out boldly, mixed with subtle pine and pineapple. It's simple but highly appealing.

Palate: oranges and still more grapefruit. The hops are solid but not too bitter. There's a great balance of ripe fruit and subtle bitterness. The body is solid without overpowering, making this a highly quaffable ale. Though this NEIPA pulls a respectable 6 percent alcohol content, the flavour is far from boozy.

I could drink this ale all day.

Overall impression: ArBrū promotes itself as Canada's first solar-powered brewery, being totally off-grid, and that's great. I'll always applaud energy efficiency. The brewery also seems to have a kitchen and offers wood-fired pizza and other snacks, which makes me want to pay a trip to Mallorytown. This is my first brew from this brewery and it encourages me to try more of what's in their beer shop. Dazed In A Haze is fragrant, fruity, easy drinking but solid, and I fully recommend it.

As for Terrance & the High Flyers? I listened to all of Butterfly Window and I have to say that it's as easy to listen to as the NEIPA was easy to drink. They seemed to be a good fit. It would be worth your while to grab some of this beer and play Butterfly Window while you relax. Hopefully, with friends.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

Dazed In A Haze is available through the LCBO or can be ordered, online, from the brewery.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment