Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Eyes Everywhere

I keep a pair on my bedside table.

There's also a pair on the window ledge, next to the chair in which I sit to watch TV. Not to actually watch what's on the television but for when I want to check something on my smartphone, during a commercial break or when I've lost interest in whatever program I'm watching.

There's a pair in our cabinet in which we keep our home laptop, from where I mostly write posts for this blog or edit photos, or work on my YouTube videos.

I keep a pair in the storage compartment of the centre console of our Niro. I don't need glasses to drive but they're there for when I leave the house without a pair and I find myself in a situation where I need to read something up close, like my phone (not while I'm driving, of course) or if we go to a restaurant and I want to read the menu.

I recently had an eye exam and had considered laser eye surgery or even lens replacement to correct my vision, but the sheer cost made me reconsider glasses, and I had a new pair made with my updated prescription. I keep that pair of glasses in my home office and wear them when I'm working. They're progressive lenses so I can use them to clearly see my computer screen and I can keep them on for when I hold my phone closer to read what's on that smaller screen.

And I have a pair of glasses that I used to keep at work, but since I've started working from home, this pair moves around the house and serves as a backup pair.

I have eyes everywhere.

But because I've begun to rely on my progressive pair of glasses more often and don't want to move them all over the house or in the car, I've started thinking that maybe I should have a pair of glasses that I can wear all the time.

And, if I was going to have a pair of glasses that I could where everywhere, I wanted them to be fun.

I ordered a pair of full progressives that would allow me to see objects at a distance, where I don't require glasses to see, but would work for reading a computer screen and allow me to see things on my phone. I also went for frames in my favourite colour and made a departure from my typical, rectangular frames.

Here's what I ended up with:


And because I would potentially be wearing these glasses outside, I added a set of clip-on shades, in a blue mirrored style.


I find that there's more of a learning curve to wearing full progressives. For one, I can't simply keep my head straight and move only my eyes to look around. I have to move my whole head, especially when I'm driving and want to check my mirrors.

I have to keep my head still when I watch TV, and maybe that's a good thing. It teaches me to not get distracted, as I often do when watching a show.

I didn't usually keep glasses on my face while eating, but I find that my food and the company that sits opposite me are so much clearer. It's like watching a video in 720p resolution and then realizing you can watch it in 4K.

DW doesn't like that I can see her with such clarity.

If these full-progressive lenses work well for me, I may invest in a second pair—one that isn't as flashy. And if I do, I may have to collect all of the glasses that are placed strategically throughout the house.

It hasn't even been a full week, so time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment