Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Better Late... Into the Evening

It has taken a long time for me to put this video together but it's better late than never.

There have been a lot of late nights—including, last night—where I would take my hours of video footage and cull it down to a reasonable length. I told myself that if I could keep the video of DW's and my August, 2021, camping and kayaking trip to Killarney Provincial Park to under a half an hour in length, it would be a miracle.

But I wanted the video to be shorter than 30 minutes because I find that most visitors to YouTube want brevity in their videos. Half an hour is a long time to hold people's attention.

Still, I managed to trim the video down to just over 28 minutes, and when I watched the first cut, I realized that I could trim the footage even more, and got it down to exactly 20 minutes (20:00:00). But then I started playing with background music and tried to sync some of the video to the rhythm of the songs, but that took painfully too much time.

I did it a bit but gave up. And in trimming the video to match the rhythm, I pared the overall video down to exactly 17-and-a-half minutes.

I quit while I was ahead. After all, every night that I worked on the video kept me up later and later.

For more than a week, I've averaged about four hours of sleep. Some nights, after calling it quits and heading to bed, I'd lie awake thinking of what else I can to.

Late into last night, I declared myself done and exported the project to an MP4 format and uploaded the completed video to my YouTube channel. Here it is:

The video covers our treks on Georgian Bay, a hike along the trails around our campsite, a paddle around George and Freeland Lakes, to a small waterfall, and a visit to the town of Killarney.

I've already started work on my next video projects, which will chronicle our trip to Portugal, last September. And I already have sights on capturing video in out upcoming vacation, in January.

At this rate, I may never sleep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment