Thursday, March 23, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Almost Home

Last week, I placed my first online beer order of 2023 and I was shocked.

In 2020, after the pandemic first hit, it seemed like I was placing beer orders every two weeks, spending more than $150 each month and going through beer like it was going out of style.

My belly sure noticed the increase in consumption.

In 2021, I cut back on my beer drinking, making sure that my fridge was mostly empty before I'd place another order. I cut my consumption in half, ordering no more than once each month.

Last year, I cut back even more, so it was no surprise that more than two-and-a-half months had passed since my last online order. I was going to the LCBO, instead, and would only pick up two or four cans per visit, which would happen only once or twice each month.

I'd pick up enough beer to satisfy my Beer O'Clock reviews.

I did visit one of my favourite breweries, in January, to pick up a 12-pack of beer, but visits to taprooms are a rare occasion for me. And the beer that I picked up had already been reviewed on my blog, so I was just fulfilling an 'I like this beer and want to drink it' urge.

So, mid-March brought me my first online beer order of the year and I purchased two unfamiliar brews from a familiar and much-admired brewery. Today, I'm going to take a look at an obscure brew style that has piqued my curiosity.

Almost Home Sorrel Beer (4.6% ABV; 0 IBUs)
Dominion City Brewing Company
Ottawa ON

Appearance: a clear and effervescent reddish-pink, with a foamy-white head that settles quickly to a tight lace.

Nose: floral notes and tropical fruit, with a bit of spice (cinnamon?).

Palate: initially, I detected a bit of sourness and a spice that bit my tongue, similar to the acid from a pineapple that I get when I initially bite into one. But on successive sips, everything mellowed and blended into a light, crisp, fruity beverage with a kick of spice. There's also a bit of a tannic finish, like a mild orange pekoe tea, that hits the roof of my mouth at the back of the throat.

Overall impression: I'm not sure how I feel about this brew. The notes on the nose are pleasant but the sour flavour builds and I am thankful that the can is only 355ml and not a full pint. But I didn't dislike the beer, either. I have a healthy respect for it and welcome it to my repertoire of beer styles.

It's just not going to be a favourite of mine.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

From the description of Almost Home on Dominion City's Web site, this beer "is inspired by the traditional flavours of Sorrel, a Caribbean drink made with hibiscus and spices." It was brewed in collaboration with Jaku Konbit, an Ottawa-based social organization that is led by our city's black community.

A portion of the proceeds from each can goes toward supporting Jaku Konbit, so I'm glad I picked up a 6-pack.

You can pick up Almost Home directly from Dominion City or by ordering online. A small delivery fee is worthwhile.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment