Monday, March 20, 2023

Turkeys Gone Bad

This weekend, the National Capital Commission (NCC) closed entry to the Mud Lake trail. It wasn't because the trail had become hazardous due to the rapid melting that we've had this week. It wasn't due to any fallen trees, either.

Even the wooden bridge, which is under construction and thus fenced off from the public had nothing to do with it.

No, the NCC closed off Mud Lake because of a bunch of turkeys. And I don't mean the goofballs who sometimes paint graffiti on rocks or the dopes who bring bread crumbs to feed to the ducks. I mean wild turkeys: those big birds.

Don't mess with these turkeys.

We've encountered the turkeys several times while hiking the trails and they don't seem to be too bothered by humans. One time, while DW and I were on the trail, we came across three turkeys—two males and a female—and they got fairly close to us, though they didn't seem aggressive.

But when another hiker came along the path, one of the turkeys seemed to block her way, causing the hiker to stop, not knowing whether to go off the path to get around the bird or to wait for it to move on. We were standing near a section of the trail where it broke into another path that led to a lookout on the lake, and the hiker made to go down that path.

The turkey, seemingly interested in the woman, started walking with purpose, toward her. That's when I stepped in. I moved on a diagonal, to let the woman move onto the secondary path but then got between her and the turkey.

In my hand, I was carrying my Nikon D7200 with a 70-300mm lens. Together, they make the camera a heavy object. I wasn't looking to harm the turkey but as a last resort, it would help me defend myself.

As soon as I was between the hiker and the turkey, the turkey turned to join his companions and the possible confrontation was avoided.

That was the only time I've seen such a bold turkey on the trails but I have heard of some worse cases of aggression at Mud Lake. And a friend of ours was practically chased by a turkey when she and her husband were visiting this popular walking trail.

The NCC plans to hire professionals to capture and relocate the birds, but in the meantime, the trail is closed to the public. I hope that they clear the trail soon, as DW and I love to take early-morning walks out there on Sundays.

And hopefully, that'll be the end to turkeys who have gone bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment