Friday, March 3, 2023

Trouble

I heard the door to the linen closet open. It wasn't a turning of the knob but the contact of metal on metal as the latch scraped across the strike plate and an almost imperceptible squeak of the hinges.

I was in my bedroom, getting dressed, and with my own door slightly ajar, I could see a shadow that told me the linen closet door was open. With that door fully open, I cannot step out of my room.

I thought it might have been Kid 1, who has been home since last Saturday while on her school's reading week. I had guessed that she was retrieving a towel so that she could have a shower.

But when the door remained wide open, I had my doubts. Kid 1 would not have left the linen closet door wide open, purposely blocking my own bedroom door. And as I thought about why the door was open for so long, I heard another sound that gave me a strong clue as to what was going on.

The sound of towels falling on the floor.

I peered around the door and saw Finn, our orange tabby, on the floor, sniffing at the newly fallen towels. He looked at me and gave a soft meow, as though he was saying, "Hey, don't look at me. I didn't do this."

When I came around the door and into the hall, I saw the culprit. It was Finn's sister, Cece.

Yes, our closet is a mess. Don't judge us.

She had done this thing before, so I should have suspected her sooner. Unless the closet door is firmly shut with the latch in place, Cece will get her paw under the door and pull. She has a love for towels, likely because she and her siblings had a cozy towel in the box that was prepared for when her mother was ready to give birth. When the kittens weren't feeding from their mom, we noticed them nuzzled against the sides of the box, that was lined with a towel.

Cece had hopped into the linen closet and pushed away the top towels, to make enough room for her.

When we were staring at each other, I could hear her purring, content as can be. Her eyes looked at me, as if she were saying, "Can you close the door? I'd like a bit of privacy."


Trouble.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment