Thursday, May 23, 2024

Beer O'Clock: Tuesday

I know: it's not Tuesday.

Perhaps, I should have broken tradition and posted my beer review a couple of days early, instead on my usual Thursday. I started posting Beer O'Clock reviews on Thursdays because I thought that if anyone was interested in picking up the reviewed beer for the weekend, particularly if the beer is available at your friendly neighbourhood LCBO or in grocery stores, you would have Thursday evening and all day Friday to get your hands on the brew.

I post on Thursdays for you, my friends. You're welcome.

Last week, I wrote about a brewery that I stumbled upon in Toronto's Kensington Market. Though this brewery had myriad cans of varying styles, some labels stood out for me.

And while today's brew came in a pretty bland can, it stated the type of beer that I particularly like, especially in warm weather. And this week, we certainly got a good dose of warm weather.

Let's take a look at this ale a bit more closely, even though today is Thursday.

Full confession: I swiped the glass in NYC.
Tuesday Saison (5.3% ABV)
Burdock Brewery
Toronto ON

Appearance: Hazy yellow, like a cloudy lemonade. A thick, fizzy white head that settles to a solid, foamy cap.

Nose: Lemon citrus and something that initially hit me as vanilla but was gone before I could pinpoint it. But it was also somewhat candied.

Palate: A mineral bitterness and more lemon citrus. A flinty (aka peppery) finish.

Overall impression: This is close, but not quite a classic saison. It seems to be missing any distinguishing spices, such as clove, opting for a more lemony signature, and the hops were more prominent than any mineral character. And while it's not a common characteristic, I often get banana on the nose of a good saison.

But I still enjoyed Tuesday. It was clean, refreshing, and had good flavours. It's possibly closer in character to a Belgian-styled farmhouse ale, where I might be more used to a North American saison.

Nevertheless, I'd drink this one anytime.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

Unfortunately, I couldn't find Tuesday on an LCBO search so it seems that it's available only at Burdock Brewery. Fortunately, I head to Toronto fairly often and Tuesday seems to be part of the brewery's regular stock. If you're in the GTA, head out to Kensington Market and pick some of this up.

Any day of the week. They're open daily, 11am to 11pm.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment