Friday, May 10, 2024

More Strangers

As I explained in Monday's post, I hadn't planned to resume my second strangers project when I roamed the Glebe, last weekend. After all, who wants to be stopped and bothered by someone when it's raining and all you want to do is get to your destination?

In a split moment, as I exited my parked car, the thought of this seemingly abandoned project popped into my head, but I immediately decided against it simply because of the weather. If an irresistible opportunity availed itself, I would take advantage of it and hopefully that person would agree to having a picture taken.

My eyes were fixed on a puddle and the traffic on Bank Street when the opportunity befell me, and I didn't even recognize it. The opportunity found me.

Her name is Jasmyn. She saw me crouched low with my D-SLR just above a puddle and cried out to get my attention. When I saw her, with a young man that seemed to be her age, she asked me if I could take a picture of them, together.

It took me a couple of seconds to register what she was asking. I was in a different headspace, focusing on subjects that weren't people. And when I saw her smartphone in her hand, I assumed that she saw me as a photographer (obviously) and wanted me to use her device to capture something nice for her to keep.

But no, she wanted me to use my D-SLR. There was no talk of me capturing an image that she could have: she just wanted me to capture a photo as part of my walk around the neighbourhood.

Also, as I said on Monday, this act would cost me nothing. And after chatting with Jasmyn and Deric, and letting them know how they could find me on social media (she was the one who asked if I was on Instagram), I got the correct spelling of their names and we wished each other a good day.

I wish I was in a better frame of mind for taking a portrait shot. I didn't pose them, didn't take several shots. I did have the forethought to move away from the busy sidewalk and get them to stand in front of a graffiti-covered wall.

Jasmyn bent it, seemed a natural. Deric just put his arm around his girlfriend. I should have directed him.


I took one shot and one shot only. I showed it to the couple and they seemed pleased. Even though I gave them my Instagram handle, I told them that I wouldn't post the photo there. At the time of writing this post (just hours after our encounter), I haven't heard from either Jasmyn or Deric. I don't know if I ever will.

But if they see this post, I hope they're happy with the end photo and I want them to know that it was a pleasure to meet them. Continue being awesome!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment