Monday, August 12, 2024

On the Ottawa River

The first time that DW and I put our kayaks on the Ottawa River, it was 2021 and I planned to make a video that showed our exploits.

It was a beautiful July day and there was surprisingly little traffic on the water. We put our kayaks in at the Port de plaisance Jacques-Cartier – Marina de Hull, on the Gatineau side of the Ottawa River, near the Alexandra Bridge.

We planned to paddle around the Museum of Civilization and work our way as far upstream as the current would allow us, toward the Chaudière Falls, and we actually got pretty far, paddling under the Zibi Interzip lines, between the Portage Bridge and the Chaudière Bridge, before the current of the falls stopped us in our tracks and turned us around.

We then paddled around Victoria Island, coming very close to the base of the Mill Street Brew Pub, before making our way toward Parliament Hill, the Rideau Locks, and finally, the Rideau Falls before turning back to the put-in spot.

I managed to capture some good video, including some zip-liners who passed overhead. But when we got to the Rideau Locks, my 360-degree camera locked up and stopped working. I didn't get any video footage of the falls (though, I did capture some photos with my smartphone).

About a month ago, we set out on the Ottawa River again, this time with our Paddlefolk, and this time, we put our kayaks in the river at the Rockcliffe Boathouse, which lies below the Rockcliffe Lookout and the residence of the ambassador to the U.S.

Our route took us upstream, past many popular landmarks along the Ottawa River, including the Rideau Falls, and we continued all the way to the base of Parliament Hill, near the locks of the Rideau Canal, before heading back.

This time, I was able to capture all of it on video. Have a look:

This will be the last kayaking video for a while, until I put together some videos from DW's and my Costa Rica adventure, which I've almost all but forgotten.

If you like my videos, please hit the thumbs-up button. Also, subscribe to my channel to help me out. Doing so will also let you know when the first Costa Rica video comes out, if you're interested in seeing it.

Though, I'm sure I'll share it here, too (but please subscribe, anyway!).

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment