Thursday, July 8, 2021

Early Fitness

I can't believe I used my hybrid bike for a Try-A-Tri.

Come to think of it, I can't believe I did a Try-A-Tri in September of 2008. A 100-metre swim (not hard, but fast), a 10-kilometre cycle (or was it 12?), and a 3-km run (I walked most of it, only trotting for the cameras). The hardest part was supposed to be the ride, which took the participants from the Nepean Sportsplex, along Hunt Club Road to Merivale Road, to Slack Road, and past the Sportsplex to repeat until the distance was covered (three or four laps).

I remembered that I started off strong in the swimming component. I've always been a strong swimmer: not particularly fast, but I can hold my own. And 100 metres was not a challenge, especially because I had trained for months leading up to the event. But in the final 25 metres, I accidentally inhaled some water as I powered through my front crawl.

I coughed, spattered, and struggled to breathe, and coasted to the poolside with a whimpy breast stroke.

I jogged to my bike, where my race bib, shirt, socks, shoes, and helmet were waiting for me. I didn't bother changing into shorts, as my swim suit would have soaked them, anyway. I remember it being cold that morning, like 6°C. I needed to move my legs fast to warm myself.

My bike, a hybrid, was too heavy for me to race, but it would still be a few more years, in August of 2011, before I would buy a proper road bike (the one I still ride today). But still, I finished in about the middle of the pack.


For the run, I was planning to walk the whole way. After all, it would be 10 more years before the reconstructive surgery on my left foot, and my right foot wasn't being managed for my arthritis. Running would kill my feet, though I would speed up to a light jog when I saw the photographers who were capturing the event.

The biggest reward was at the finish line, where DW had the kids waiting for me. Though I had a sweater also waiting for me, I felt warmed up after the event and our eldest was complaining about the cold, so I let her wear it.

It was the only Try-A-Tri that I did. When I finally had my road bike, I signed up for a swim-cycle event, but the water at Mooney's Bay had called for red flags and the organizers wouldn't just let me ride my bike (some participants opted to swim, anyway, but I didn't want to risk it).

I've never been a fitness fanatic, but even in 2008, I was making some sort of effort.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment