Thursday, July 29, 2021

Off The Wagon

I honestly thought that chips would be the first thing that would break me down and tempt me into eating. I'm a savoury sort of fellow and chips will draw me in every time. But no, I've resisted the mighty crunch of a potato chip.

I had no fear that I would be drawn into cracking open a can of beer, even though I was still ordering from local breweries. The cans were simply placed in my mini-fridge, chilling until August 1.

Even when DW tried a new cider, made with added Pinot Noir wine, and held her glass out for me to have a sip, I stayed true to my commitment. "Buy more and I'll have some in August. But it sure smells good."

The truth is I don't often crave anything sweet. I like baked goods and the occasional soda, and love chocolate, but I typically have them only when they are offered. I don't go looking for sweet things when I want a treat.

I broke down, the first time, in my Dry July challenge, after one lunch, when I was looking for something to munch on. It was early into my challenge. DW and the kids had all kinds of baked goodies in the house: a lemon meringue pie and all sorts of cookies, all within eyesight and arm's reach. I had resisted.

But when that craving hit and I was close to some fortune cookies that we had left over from a Chinese food order a week or so earlier, I helped myself to one. And, as fate would have it, the cookie came with no fortune inside.

No luck for me.

When DW and I were driving home, after our camping and kayaking trip in Algonquin Provincial Park, we realized that we hadn't had lunch and were starving. After all, we had only eaten instant oatmeal for breakfast, before paddling back to the High Falls water slide for one last ride, returning to camp, packing up, and paddling back to Achray Campsite, where we loaded everything back into and onto our car.

When we approached Petawawa, we decided to make a stop for a late lunch/early dinner. We found a place, The Shed, which made Halifax-style donairs.

Perfect.

I ordered a small donair and DW ordered the donair poutine, and we were asked if we wanted something to drink. I had planned to drink the water that I had filtered out of Stratton Lake, but our attention was drawn to a small fridge that advertised various flavours of Newfie Crush, which were only available from Newfoundland.

My eyes fell on a pineapple Crush, and I couldn't resist.

"I've burned far more calories today than I've taken in," I told DW, "I deserve this."

Man, was it sweet.

As an additional sign that my body craved calories after an active morning, I wolfed down my Halifax donair and helped DW with her generous amount of poutine. (The Shed is a little treasure in Petawawa: highly recommended.)

The next day, DW rose early and went to Farm Boy to get some groceries. She returned with a package of fresh-baked cinnamon rolls.

"Screw it," I said when I saw them, "I've cut a lot out of my diet and have been good for the most part. I should have only said I wasn't drinking alcohol in July, or just not eating potato chips. I've lost nearly three kilos this month." I reached into the package, pulled out the cinnamon bun, and scarfed it down.

I then went to another package that contained sugar cookies and ate two.

When I fall off the wagon, I fall hard.

I felt awful afterwards and stuck to water until dinnertime. I cycled more than 40K before dinner, trying to burn off those unwanted calories.

I can finish my Dry July challenge with the knowledge that I held off on alcohol and chips, lost a good amount of weight, and shrunk my belly. The even-bigger challenge, moving into August, is ensuring that I don't put the fat back on.

I need to earn any non-essential calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment