Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Do Bloggers Take Vacation?


Yes. And no.

The reason that I missed a blog post is simple, and it is also for two reasons: first, I'm on vacation and I spent this past weekend travelling and having fun with my family. Since my last blog post (not counting my weekend recap--and sorry about the broken links), my family and I have snorkelled through the coral reefs off the coast of Key Largo, strolled along Ocean Drive and admired the Art Deco in Miami Beach, spent the day riding dragons, propelling ourselves high in the air, and adventuring with Harry Potter at Universal Studios' Islands of Adventures in Orlando, sampled local beer (review this Thursday, I hope), and taken a ghost tour in Savannah, Georgia.

Yes, we've been busy.


I would have posted a blog entry yesterday, but two factors prevented me from doing so. On Sunday, we spent the entire day at Universal Studios, from early morning until late at night, and so I didn't really have much time to write. But I probably would have, except for the second reason: the four-and-a-half-star hotel that we stayed at did not offer free WiFi. It had the most amazing, most elaborate swimming pool I have ever seen: a large pool with a kids' fountain and two sloped entries, a water slide, and a lazy river to rival some amusement parks. It was immaculately kept and was available to all guests.
The hotel also offered a huge gym with plenty of treadmills, spin bikes, elliptical trainers, and so on, along with a spa, that operated 24 hours a day.

But if you wanted to be connected, you had to pay $15 a day: that's a third of what I pay each month.

This is 2012, hotel people. If you're going to charge that kind of fee for Internet, it makes you look greedy. And it cheapens your hotel. No matter how nice it is and how friendly your staff is.

So yes, I am on vacation and I may not be regular with my blog posts. I'm having too much fun. I'm busy.

But I just may also be offline from time to time.

I'm planning to post my regular Wordless Wednesday tomorrow, but I don't know where I'm staying, yet. I'm hoping for free WiFi. If you don't see a post tomorrow, you'll know why.



1 comment:

  1. Ugh I hate how hotels gauge you for wifi. I got into the habit of tethering with my phone and using that when I needed it. Since I wasn't downloading or doing anything that required a lot of usage it was usually cheaper than the wifi fee.

    ReplyDelete