Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On Your Wish List


I don't know if you're like me, but I hate how advertisers start running commercials for Christmas and how stores decorate for that late-December holiday the day after Hallowe'en.

I mean, my mind isn't quite prepared for the snow to fall: never mind the decorated trees and deck the halls.

I miss the days when I lived in South Korea, where, depending on where you went, you wouldn't know that Christmas was coming until maybe two weeks before the day. In other areas of the city where I lived, you wouldn't know Christmas was coming at all.

I hate Christmas shopping and I rarely think about it until December. I even shop right up until the stores close on Christmas Eve.

In truth, I leave the bulk of the shopping to my wife, Lori. I'll get something if it's more convenient for me to pick it up than it is for her. I'll buy a couple of gifts for Lori and her stocking stuffers, but that's basically it. I hate shopping at the best of times; I really dislike it at this silly season.

But this year, not only do I need to think of buying my loved one a gift or two, I also need to think of selling, of planting seeds in your heads, my dear peeps.

Everybody likes to receive a book for Christmas. It's something that you can read over the holidays and into the new year. And the best thing about a book is that it keeps on giving: once you've finished reading it, you can read it again or you can pass it on so that others can enjoy it too.

That's why I'm suggesting that you order my book, Songsaengnim: A Korea Diary, and give it to that someone special for Christmas.

You can order a hard cover, paperback, or eReader version at the following stores (in Canada and the U.S., at any rate; I'm afraid I don't know if it's available anywhere else):
If you order a printed copy (hard cover or paperback) and live in the Ottawa area, I'd be happy to arrange to have it signed.

How's that for self-promotion?

Thank you for your support.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment