Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Beer O'Clock Is Not Dead

I'm sitting on a fence.

For years on The Brown Knowser, I used to share my views of various ales and lagers that I would find at the local LCBO, at brew pubs, at breweries, or at special events. I like to share: it's what I do.

Too much, my family and friends remind me.

But one thing that I really like to share is beer, especially when I find a real gem and I feel that you should try it, too. There's something about taking that first sip, having the flavours wash around in my mouth, my tastebuds delighting in the sensation. It's at that moment that I want to take a photo of that beer, as it glows in the glass, with the bottle snuggled alongside it. I want to make as many notes as I can, describing its appearance, how it smells, how it tastes, and how it makes me feel.

Only, I haven't done that it a while. I'm sure many of you have wondered, is Beer O'Clock dead?

In a word, no.

But I've been busy, writing on The Brown Knowser, working on my novel, and then there's my day job and my family.

So, when I enjoy a beer, sometimes I just want to live in the moment, and savour the flavour.

But even then, I'm still keeping track of what I'm consuming. And sharing it. Through Untappd.



I'm not saying that Untappd has replaced Beer O'Clock. But while my beer blog is on hiatus, I can still share what I'm drinking, and what I think. And I also get the benefit of seeing what my friends are drinking and what they think. So that I can try it, too.

And share my opinion.



Of course, because this is a social-media app, there are some geeky bits to it, too. There are badges that you can earn, depending on what style of beer you drink, where you drink it, and what holiday befalls that day.

They mean absolutely nothing, but they're fun, especially when you're not expecting them (I earned a Take-It-Easy badge when I was drinking a sampler in New York City: I had only had sips of each, and was clearly taking it easy).



Beer O'Clock is not dead, but I don't know when I'll post another review. I do have a collection of various Imperial stouts that I've amassed over the years, and I'd like to compare them with each other, possibly, in the next few weeks. I may post a Beer O'Clock review on The Brown Knowser. I just don't know what I'm going to do with my beer reviews yet.

In the meantime, you can connect with me on Untappd, and perhaps we can share a beer or two.

Virturally, at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment