Thursday, August 24, 2017

Throwback Thursday: My Dream Car

At one time, it was a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Black, with gold trim and that iconic flaming chicken on the hood. The one that became famous in the movie Smokey and the Bandit, but I was in love with it before the movie.

My father sold them at the dealership, and I drooled every time I saw one in the showroom.

But I was still a couple of years away from driving on my own, a few years further away from being legally able to do so.

I always liked Porsche and Ferrari, came close to buying the former, but realistically, they were financially out of reach.

Then came my next love: the BMW.

Even to this day, I get excited at the sight of a 2002, but when the 1980 320i came out, I wanted one. "Some day," I told myself, "I'll be behind the wheel of one."

In the early 80s, during a camping weekend at Mosport, my friends and I camped and took in the many races, oggled the high-end sports cars in the VIP area. But it was a car that was parked near our tent that grabbed my attention.

A red 320i.

I stood along it, put my hand on it while a friend took this photo.


"Someday, I would be behind the wheel of one," I whispered.

That dream came true. I've been behind the wheel of a couple of 3-series Bimmers. I've just never owned one. Someday, perhaps, but I'm in no rush.

Happy Thursday!


 

2 comments: