Thursday, May 4, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Shaken Stout

It goes against my intuition. But somehow, it works.

I grew up learning that you never shake a can of carbonated liquid before opening it. As a kid, we used to prank each other by shaking up our friend's soda behind their back, only to howl with laughter as they cracked it open and were showered in their fizzy drink.

A few years ago, when I picked up a can of stout from an Ottawa Valley brewery and cracked it open at home, I was disappointed by how flat the dark beer tasted. Usually, when I get a new beer to try, I avoid reading the label beyond the brewer and what style of beer it is, so that I'm not influenced by any descriptions or tasting notes that the brewery may have added to the label.

After trying this underwhelming stout, I read the label and found that I had to shake the can before opening it. That was a shocking discovery.

I shook up the next can and everything changed. The stout came to life: there was not only a creamy fizz but the flavours popped.

The same thing happened to me when I tried another stout, this week, from a different brewer. I was disappointed by the thin head but at least the stout had some classic flavours. It wasn't until after I was halfway through the brew that I read the label and, again, discovered that the can needed to be shaken before opened.

My bad.

I opened another can, and here's what I found:

Irish Stout (4.2% ABV; 41 IBUs)
Ridge Rock Brewing Company
Carp ON

Appearance: pours a deep, walnut brown with a foamy taupe head that comes out thick when the can is shaken, but settles to a respectable finger's depth, and eventually becomes a thin but solid, creamy cap.

Nose: rich, roasted malts that give an aroma of espresso.

Palate: the stout is bone-dry with hints of cedar and tobacco. The finish is short and clean.

Overall impression: this is a classic, perfect dry stout, well-made in an Irish style. Guinness has a run for its money; in fact, I'd take this stout over today's Guinness every time.

Even though I have to remember to shake the can before opening it.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺

I picked up this stout directly from Ridge Rock, when I was passing through Carp with DW and some friends, and we decided to have dinner at the brewery (the food is pretty good, too). But they also deliver to anywhere in the Ottawa area and it's for free with orders of $50 or more.

Sadly, the stout isn't listed with the LCBO. But you should definitely shake a leg and get some.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment