Friday, May 12, 2023

New Horizon

I remember how, whenever I found myself standing on the edge of Dow's Lake, my eyes would always fall to the pavilion that occupies the northwest corner of the lake.

The building is only two floors high, but its low, sleek, modern profile always drew me in. I loved how it cast a reflection on the often-still water. Anytime I had a camera, I would capture its simple beauty.

My eye still gets drawn to that end of Dow's Lake, but these days my eyes don't focus on the pavilion straight away. Looking to the northern end of the lake, there are bigger distractions.

Over the past few years, high-rise apartments have towered over the Preston-Carling neighbourhood, behind the Dow's Lake pavilion, making the old landmark seem a speck on the landscape. It seems that it's almost impossible to take in the pavilion, when you're on the southern end of the lake, without the Claridge Icon Tower your point of focus.

On Tuesday, after I finished capturing images of the tulips in Commissioners Park, I couldn't help but pay attention to the sunset and the tall reflections on the water. Where I once would only zoom in on the pavilion, I now seem to want to capture the new landscape.

All of it.


And it's almost hard to find the pavilion that once took all of my attention.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment