Thursday, May 25, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Van Full Of Weirdos

In keeping with last week's theme of goofy-named beers, I discovered this brightly coloured can in a refrigerated case at my local grocery store and couldn't resist.

Plus, in bold yellow lettering, the style Juicy IPA stood out.

I knew that this beer wouldn't resemble a proper IPA (should I stop complaining?) but that I loved this style of hazy, tropically fruity ales and was in the mood for one. I would rate this beer on that style and only knock off half a point for it calling itself an IPA, even though it isn't one.

In the first second of pouring, though, I was prepared to be surprised because the flow from the can to the glass almost looked a clear, coppery gold that made me think of a British-styled IPA. But as it collected in my glass, that surprise returned to the "oh, yeah, that's what I expected to look like" colour and haze.

Weird.

Let's get into the review:

Van Full Of Weirdos Juicy IPA (6.2 % ABV)
Refined Fool Brewing Company
Sarnia ON

Appearance: besides what I've already described, the brew pours clear but gathers hazily in the glass, becoming a murky, deep apricot with a touch of pink—almost like ruby red grapefruit juice. The head starts thick and foamy but settles to a creamy, solid, light-beige cap.

Nose: lime and candied oranges, with a touch of peach.

Palate: the peach is a bit more pronounced and there's a backing of sweet, pink grapefruit, with a bit of papaya. The finish is fruity and candy-like, but doesn't linger too long. After successive sips, there's a bitterness that lingers at the back of the throat.

Overall impression: yes, this is a juicy ale but not the types of fruit that I imagined. I always seem to expect bright citrus (lime, orange, and/or tangerine), mango, and pineapple, and this brew has a good share of peach flavour.

Not that I'm complaining.

Being allergic to fresh peaches, I welcome the taste, even if it's in my beer. The candied flavour I can do without but even that's not off-putting.

Did I like this ale? Yes. Would I drink it again? Probably. Would I pick more up from the store? Likely, no.

Why not? Well, Van Full Of Weirdos is good but it didn't necessarily make me think that I had to stock my fridge with it. I'm glad I tried it and you should, too, if you have the opportunity. I'm just saying that you shouldn't run to the store and fill your cart.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

Refined Fool offers this ale in a pack with other IPAs, so you might want to check that out. It includes Zane Lost His Avocado Bag and Catstronaut, both of which I've had and enjoyed. I've even reviewed one of them.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment