Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The Next Long Trek

DW is considering joining a gym and is trying to entice me to join, too.

"They have a membership sale," she explained. "Now that the weather has improved outdoors, fewer people are working out indoors."

"I agree with those folks," I said. "Why would you want to go inside when it's so much nicer outside?"

Indeed, this is the time of year when DW and I strap our kayaks to the roof of our car and head out to a river or lake to get in some paddling. We've already been out twice, and this weekend, we're off to Algonquin Park for a couple of nights of interior camping.

Yes, you read that right: I've agreed to go camping.

First paddle of 2023, fighting against a strong current at Morris Island Conservation Area.

And now that the roads are cleared of salt and other hazardous debris, I've started taking to my bike again. Every other day, as long as the weather cooperates, I plan to cover a minimum of 42 kms on my rides and will be working up to a 100K circuit sometime in the summer.

So why would I need a gym membership?

I've said many times before that I don't need a membership as long as I'm signing up for The Conqueror Virtual Challenges. Virtually visiting far-off places by walking, cycling, kayaking, or even mowing the lawn or shovelling the driveway is far more motivating for me than packing a gym back and heading out, in the car, to a facility.

And the monthly fee for a gym membership far out-costs each challenge that I sign up for. Most challenges cost about $35 to $40 Canadian dollars and they last usually more than a month. Some have even taken several months to complete.

Take my latest challenge that I started on the weekend. I'm currently virtually in northern New Zealand, participating in the 3,176.9-kilometre Te Araroa trek. It started at the lighthouse on the tip of Cape Reinga and goes all the way to Stirling Point, across from Stewart Island (Rakiura) on New Zealand's southernmost end.

I expect the trek will take me about 120 days to complete (though, I set these goals and always finish ahead of schedule). The estimated end date is September 1st.

Fourty dollars for almost four months is a pretty good deal, compared with a gym membership, even at this facility's reduced summer rate.

All the power to DW but I'll take my exercise outside.

And maybe, someday, we can add New Zealand as a vacation destination and actually cover the countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment