Thursday, May 18, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Sparklepuff

These days, I feel that the folks at Flying Monkeys are taking their motto a little too much to heart:

Normal is Weird.

For the past few years (okay, for most of its existence, actually), it's come up with names for its creations that are, quite frankly, bonkers. Killer Cupcake Panda; Space Age Sunshine; Quantum Hugs; Freakshow Crush; Juicy Ass; Frosty the Friendship Dragon.

And today's brew for review seems to take the cake.

Sparklepuff, Galaxy Starfighter Defender of the Universe Triple IPA (10.2% ABV; 34 IBUs)
Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery
Barrie ON

Appearance: pours a hazy and deep grapefruit-juice-orange with a creamy white head that quickly settles to a thin but solid cap. In one of the cans I poured, large clumps of sediment swirled around the effervescent bubbles like a snow globe (they didn't affect the flavour and I couldn't feel them in the mouth).

Nose: tangerines and limes. There's a beautiful tropical aroma that hits you as you pour the ale into your glass.

Palate: there's a dry, piney bitterness that hits you straight away and races to the back of your throat even before you swallow. Holding the liquid in my mouth, I detected ripe grapefruit and a tinge of peach (I later learned that peach purée was added to the mash).

Overall impression: this is a bitter but juicy IPA that's had the benefit of three hops (Simcoe, Idaho 7, and Vic Secret) and has been dry-hopped on days 4, 8, and 12 of the fermentation period. Though there's that whopping 10.2 percentage of alcohol, Sparklepuff (don't make me write out the whole name) does not feel boozy in the mouth—though I certainly felt my first pint. I could only drink one in a sitting and recommend that you exercise moderation when you're having this brew.

It seems that all of the varieties of IPA that Flying Monkey produces have that hazy, tropical flavour that I love but can't be farther from a classic India Pale Ale. Such seems to be the fate of IPAs outside of England. Oh well...

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

I really enjoyed Sparklepuff, as weird as its name is. But that's Flying Monkeys for you: absolutely bonkers and absolutely delicious.

You can find this triple IPA at the LCBO and you can order directly from the brewery. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment