Thursday, August 27, 2020

Beer O'Clock: Globetrotting Without Leaving Home

In a few weeks, I would have been heading on vacation through Europe, had a global pandemic not gotten in the way. DW and I were supposed to travel through Belgium, the Netherlands, and all over Germany, with a couple of bicycle trips along the way. I was also going to visit some of the breweries in these countries, tasting the various beer styles of these great countries.

Instead, we're stuck at home, and I can only look back on vacations gone by, and sigh.

I can't wait to start travelling again, globetrotting around the world. In the meantime, I'll just have to drink locally crafted brews (hey... that part isn't so bad).

Fortunately, thanks to the good folks at Spearhead Brewing Company, I can virtually enjoy some flavours from around the world with their Globetrotter Series of unique craft ales.

To start their series—which began a couple of weeks ago—Spearhead went to two places: the UK and Germany.

Their August selection is called India Wheat Ale and is a blend of a classic IPA, which originates in jolly ol' England, and a German Hefeweizen. And, for full disclosure, I have to say that the kind Marketing Manager (and Director of Fun), Amanda, sent the samples that I reviewed. Thanks, Amanda!

Let's take a closer look:

India Wheat Ale (6% ABV, 55 IBU)
Spearhead Brewing Company
Kingston ON

Appearance: I don't usually comment on the appearance of the can or label, but seeing a stamp of India threw me a bit. I get that Spearhead wants us to virtually travel the world, but IPAs weren't made in India; rather, they were brewed in the UK and shipped off to the troops, in the British colony. The bitter hops ensured that the beer would last for the length of the voyage. But I'm splitting hairs. Suffice to say that this is a British-German mashup of styles.

In my glass, however, I see the golden amber of a classic IPA, with the slightly unfiltered haze of a Hefeweizen. The white head is foamy, bubbly, and pours thick, but settles to a dense lace.

Nose: ripe banana that I typically find with a good Hefeweizen, with a bit of malt coming through. Almost like banana bread. It's a beautiful aroma.

Palate: the banana carries through into the mouth and is accompanied with a flinty mineral that I associate with this German style of wheat beer. It's bright and bold. There's only a slight note of fruit, coming from the mango puree that went into the making of this mashup (hey, that's where the India connection comes in!). The lemon drop and warrior hops come next, adding to the spirit of the IPA, and the finish is a unique and balanced flavour. The mineral bitterness gives a long and pleasing finish.

Overall impression: the flavours in this ale are unique, with the classic malt and bitter hops of a classic IPA, mixed with the banana and flinty mineral of a Hefeweizen. India Wheat Ale delivers both, perfectly balanced and with an added touch of mangoes. This ale is a great, late-summer treat.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺 (scroll to the bottom of the right-hand margin to see the legend for my rating)

Spearhead has made a solid ale that makes me think of travel and I look forward to seeing what they come up with for the next beer in the Globetrotter Series, which is due out in October (hmm... Germany has already been covered...). The series will introduce a new brew every two months, wrapping up in June, 2021.

Hopefully, we can all travel freely by then.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment