Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Not Going Over

 It was about this time, in 2016, when I vowed to never set foot in the United States again.

 Back then, when everyone was sure that the Orange Man-Baby would never become the next president of that country, I had seen the divisiveness and racism that had always existed explode to the forefront and I told myself that I had had enough with my neighbours to the south. I had a few very close American friends with whom I would still hold dear to my heart, but I was done with venturing across the border.

The closest that I came to that border was on August 10 of last year. DW and I had travelled to the Eastern Townships in Québec and had cycled from Ayer's Cliff to Stanstead, a town that lies directly on the Canada-U.S. border.

Smack-dab on the border sits Haskell Free Library and Opera House. As its name implies, it is part public library and part theatre, with seating for 400 people. It is open to both Canadian and Americans, though the entrance is on the American side of the border. Canadians who wish to enter the building can do so freely, without passing through border checkpoints or showing a passport, but must stay on the sidewalk that leads to the entrance.

Step off the curb, onto the street, and American border patrol agents will jump on you.

When DW and I arrived in Stanstead, we were famished so we ordered a take-out pizza from Pizzeria Steve and ate it on the benches at Place Henry Seth Taylor, a small square that is about 500 metres from the Canadian border services. We then cycled around the streets near the border and ended up at Haskell Free Library and Opera House.

Our bikes at Place Henry Seth Taylor.
 

DW wanted to check out this unique building but I said that I wouldn't cross the border, indicated by stones across the lawn and a small obelisk that named the two countries. Instead, I used my 360-degree video camera, on its selfie stick, to venture over the line.

DW changed her mind about crossing over, and we cycled back to Ayer's Cliff.

 

There's a new election coming soon, but my resolve to avoid the United States stands strong. There are a lot of great countries out there.

I'm just not going over.


No comments:

Post a Comment