Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Exhausted

I think it's a sign that I'm getting old.

On Saturday, after learning that the forecast for the region in which DW and I were set to go camping involved severe thunderstorms, leading us to cancel our reservations, we decided that we would take our kayaks back to the St. Lawrence Seaway, to paddle from Ivy Lea Bay to Hill Island, and back. The weather for this area on this day promised to be perfect, and it was.

We paddled for a little more than four hours through some swift-moving currents and some challenging swells, only to paddle upstream to return to our vehicle. When we returned home, my shoulders were so sore that I even agreed to do yoga with DW to stretch out my body.

Neither of us did much more on Saturday night.

On Sunday, the weather in Ottawa was still decent, although hot and humid, and DW convinced me to cycle to Manotick, which is only about 10 kilometres away from home. I've only been on my bike a handful of times this summer, so a 20K ride is about my speed. We also stop at the Morning Owl coffee shop when we reach Manotick, and the breakfast and coffee is a bit of an incentive.

When we returned home, I was hot and tired, but my lawn needed mowing. Though I knew I was going to work up a sweat, I decided to shower before I pulled out the mower.

DW and I have been talking about our aging home computer and how it has been sluggish over the past couple of months. Even though we don't keep any files on it—choosing to store everything on external drives—it takes a long time to process photos and video. Especially, video. We agreed that our system was getting long in the tooth, so before I mowed the lawn, we went shopping for a newer, faster laptop.

Shopping at lunchtime on a Sunday is a stressful endeavour for me. I was tired by the time we returned home, but that lawn wasn't going to cut itself.

It takes about an hour to mow the front lawn, which is shared by the neighbour whose front step faces mine, the narrow strip to the side of my other neighbour's house, and my backyard. By the time I was finished, sweat was dripping from my forehead and into my eyes, and my clothes were stuck to my skin. Back in the house for a second shower, but when I redressed, I was still sweating profusely.

And I was spent.

I had no energy. For the rest of the day, I sat and processed the video footage from our kayaking trip, closing my eyes and nodding off every once and a while. Thankfully, I had a blog post prepared for Monday: my brain was running down.

There was a time, not too long ago, when this kind of activity wouldn't have slowed me down. Now, in my mid-50s, it's exhausting. On Sunday, I also had plans to record a beer review for my Brown Knowser YouTube channel. I didn't even have the energy to drink a beer, opting to consume water and juice, instead.

When I don't have energy to drink beer, it's serious.

I've decided that I've put off this review for too long, so this Thursday, I'll actually have it written up to post here, on The Brown Knowser blog.

As long as I'm not exhausted.


1 comment:

  1. My fmaily and I did not cancel our camping, it rained both nights, but we had 2 pretty nice days at the beach, only the campfires were cut short. The unpacking of the camping gear was definitely met with the same 'energy' levels you experienced while you should have been consuming beer. I'm not yet 50, but this scares me.

    ReplyDelete