Friday, August 7, 2020

Photo Friday: Waxing Storm

I can't believe the storm passed without a drop of rain.

Last week, I decided to try another time-lapse video on my Insta360 camera; this time, downtown, where I haven't been since March 27. Four months seems like a lifetime, ago, especially when you consider that I have to pass through the downtown core when I commute to and from work.

I parked under City Hall—it's free after 6—and walked to the Mackenzie Bridge. From there, looking north, you get what I think is one of the most iconic views of the city.

I came equipped with my Insta360 One R, with the 4K lens installed, rather than the 360-degree lens. Mounted on a Manfrotto mini-tripod, I planned to mount the camera on the protective railing of the bridge. And I was prepared: some duct tape made sure that tripod was going nowhere.

I also packed my Nikon D750 and my travel tripod to capture some stills while the video camera worked on the time lapse. As I had learned on my first attempt, it takes 75 minutes worth of video recording to create 30 seconds of time-lapse play.

The sky was extremely cooperative: a dramatic sunset was on display at the end of the canal, where it steps down to the Ottawa River. To the east, storm clouds were reflecting pink, purple, and blue, and with a steady wind were rolling into my frame as the light faded beyond the Gatineau Hills.

A lot of drama, indeed.

About 15 minutes into recording, I saw a distinct reflection of lightning in one of the office towers to the left of me. Looking up, I saw towering storm clouds climbing over the Rideau Centre. Looking east, down to the far end of the Mackenzie Bridge and beyond, I could see that in the east end of the city, it was raining fiercely.

I made a mental check of what I was carrying to protect my equipment and planned out what I would do if it should start to rain, while more lightning, followed by loud thunder, raged overhead. In my camera bag, which was hanging from a hook on my tripod to add to the centre of gravity, I had a rain shell. The first thing to do was protect my D-SLR, so I would pack it inside my bag and cover the bag in the protective rain shell and sling it over my shoulder.

Next would be to fold up my tripod, which requires two hands. With the camera protected in the bag, the most-valuable piece of equipment was saved. The tripod can handle the rain.

I would be reluctant to stop the One R from recording. It's waterproof and has proven a couple of times already that rain is no issue. Depending on the severity of the rain, I would hold out as long as possible. If the rain was harsh, I would quickly seek shelter in the Rideau Centre: I came prepared with a mask, just in case.

As it was, my planning never became a reality. Though the lightning and thunder looked and sounded serious, no rain actually fell. Instead, I was treated to a great sound and light show, added with the dramatic clouds and waning sunlight.

Sadly, I captured no lightning with either camera, as it flashed directly overhead and behind me.

If you want to see the time-lapse video that I made, check it out on The Brown Knowser YouTube channel. Here's the best still of the night.


Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment