Not of the terrorists. Never have been. We haven't had a bona fide terrorist attack on Canadian soil and I'm not worried about walking down any streets. (Most streets, that is.)
But there is a group of people that is threatening to destroy my country, and its leader makes the Emperor of the Evil Galactic Empire look like a pussy.
On Sunday, Canadians learned that parliament has been dissolved and that the longest election campaign in modern Canadian history is underway. It must also be mentioned that it will be the most expensive campaign in our country's history, costing Canadian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars more than it would have, had the party that has boasted to be fiscally responsible called the election half as early.
As we head into this election campaign, let us remember a few points about the current government.
- In the last budget, we were told that the books were balanced and that we would have more than a billion dollars in surplus. Thanks, of course, to dipping into the country's contingency fund. Only, after economic analysts have examined the budget in detail, we are actually in another deficit of more than a billion-and-a-half dollars. There is a $2.9B discrepancy.
- The current government has claimed that it supports our war veterans, and yet it has cut support centres across the country.
- Under the current government, our average annual growth of GDP has increased by only 1.6 percent, the smallest increase of the past nine leading parties.
- Tough crime laws have been drafted, despite decreases in Canadian crime rates.
- Canada's Economic Action Plan, which has spent hundreds of millions of dollars, which saw no real job creation.
- The senate scandal, of which we've only scratched the surface.
- The millions of dollars needlessly spent on repackaging the armed forces.
- The cuts to our national broadcaster.
- The stonewalling of the media.
- The silencing of our scientists.
- The so-called "Fair Election Act," which prohibits citizens living abroad from voting, prohibits Elections Canada from calling on citizens to vote, and restricts eligible voters from casting ballots without specific identification (gone is the vouching rule).
The attack ads of the current government and its supporters have been childish and have attacked on personal levels, without providing a clear platform or vision.
Harper himself says some of the most ludicrous things:
What does this even mean? How are terrorists getting money from "honest, hardworking Canadians"? If you're hardworking and honest, you're not about to hand over your money to terrorists. I thought the honest and hardworking Canadians paid taxes to the government. Who uses it to fund needlessly long election campaigns.
I'm tired of the fearmongering. I'm tired of the waste of money. I'm tired of the lies and bullshit.
And I'm scared.
What scares the shit out of me is the fear that people will not get out and vote. The apathy toward elections is what got this regime into power.
Canada used to be respected the world over. We used to be peacekeepers, used to have a seat in the United Nations Security Council. We used to care about the environment.
All of that has gone over the past 10 years.
I want my Canada back.
Please: get out and vote.