The Lost Videos
DW and I are currently on vacation, hopefully paddling one of our greatest challenges to date: Lake Superior.
Our intention is to kayak on the eastern shores, north of Sault-Ste. Marie, and the very northern cluster of islands around Nipigon.
Being the second largest lake on the planet, Superior is almost like an ocean. Wind can make the waves massive and storms can blow in with little notice. We’ll have to pay close attention to the weather reports, and in the northern end, if we awake on an island to a bad report, we’ll have to stay put.
That leg of the trip might run over by a day or two, depending on the weather.
But because of my lung issues, I also have to pay attention to the fire and smoke reports. Because I lost 20 percent of my lung capacity after a nasty bout of COVID in 2022, I’m under doctor’s orders to stay indoors if there’s smoke in the air.
There are fires currently burning around Thunder Bay and the areas north of Lake Superior. If the smoke is present during the days we plan to be there, we’ll have to cancel that part of our trip and find somewhere safer to go.
I’m really hoping that the weather and smoke cooperate because the northern part of the lake is where I really want to paddle.
Because we are away for the next couple of weeks, I spent more time preparing my YouTube channel for our absence than my blog. This will be the last blog post for a couple of weeks but my YouTube channel will keep running.
Since our Petit Train du Nord trip, I’ve been releasing videos every week after that trek was aired. Summer is my time to share kayaking videos and I want to keep the weekly schedule going.
A few months ago, I found the lost footage of some kayaking trips that DW and I have made over the years. I recorded these trips and moved the footage off the cameras, but because I got busy with other projects, I kind of forgot that I shot these videos and where I had stored them.
But I’ve now located the video clips and have created three retro videos, which I loaded up to YouTube and scheduled their release. The first video is from a return to Perth and the Tay River, and it was released last Friday.
Have a look:
I also have a video scheduled for this Friday and for the following Friday, when we should be back home. I’ll then work on the Superior videos and will hopefully have something to show on August 28.
I don’t know what kind of cellular connectivity I’ll have in that neck of the woods but I’m planning to be off the grid while we’re away. The Brown Knowser blog posts will resume when we return.
Happy Monday!
Comments
Post a Comment