The Right Gear
It's been a long time since I've travelled a long way with everything on my back.
Okay, it hasn't been that long ago. Last year, when DW and I travelled through the Amazon basin in Peru, we carried everything. We had purchased backpack luggage that replaced our usual, hard-case roller suitcases because we knew we'd be going over uneven terrain and we wanted to be hands-free.
But we only carried the luggage between the planes, trains, and automobiles and whatever lodging we were headed to. As soon as we were settled in our accommodation, the backpacks stayed in our rooms.
![]() |
| Me, at Chirisan, 1998. |
In 1998, when DW and I were living in South Korea, we spent a few days hiking up Chirisan, the country's highest mountain on the peninsula. It took us a day to get to the trailhead, a day to climb to the 1,915-metre summit, a day to descend the other side, and a day to get back to Chǒnju, the city where we were living.
For that climb, we had backpacks that each held a sleeping bag, a foam mat, clothes, and food. I also carried a small, two-person tent, though we discovered that you weren't allowed to set up a tent at the summit, and we had to sleep in dorms that were segregated between the men and women.
It was hell.
Being in my mid-thirties, carrying my gear was no big deal, though the descent was hard on both mine and DW's knees, and I don't think either of us has fully recovered from that slog.
When DW and I had finished our teaching contracts, and before we returned to Canada, we took a month to travel. We packed most of our possessions into boxes and shipped them to my parents' place, and we also stored some furniture with friends, who lived in Seoul but were moving back to Canada later in the year.
DW and I flew from Seoul to Hong Kong, and then to Singapore, before making our way north, through Malaysia, to Thailand. And on us, we had the last of our possessions in our backpacks, which we carried everywhere.
In Thailand, I bought a better, bigger backpack, gutting my old one of any clips and padding—leaving its carcass in a hotel room. I still have that backpack to this day though I can't remember the last time I've used it, or if I've even used it since I was in East Asia.
DW and I are now planning for our next big trip, the 260-kilometre Camino Portugués, from Porto, Portugal, to Santiago de Compostela, in northwestern Spain. As part of our preparations, we need to make sure we have the right gear for the journey.
In watching several videos—especially, the Caminotellers—we've learned that the most-important things you need are a great pair of shoes and the right backpack. My old 55-litre backpack is not the right one.
For one thing, my old backpack is too big. For the Camino, I don't need anything bigger than 40 litres and I'm thinking that 30L is optimal. After all, I'm not planning on carrying too much: a light sleeping bag, pajamas, and one extra pair of clothes (one set for wearing daily as I walk: the other, for when I've arrived at my destination and have showered). I'll also have a pair of shower shoes, a rain jacket, and a poncho.
I plan to bring my drone, one Insta360 camera, and my smartphone, plus the chargers for each. The Insta360 will be on a selfie stick and will be strapped to the side of my pack, and I plan to find a waist bag that will hold the drone, my passport, and cash.
My water bottle, which holds 500ml, will be in a pocket on the side of my pack. And that should be it.
I've been shopping online for the backpacks and have visited a few stores. My criteria for the backpack, apart from the size, is that it has to sit off my back so that air can pass between it and me. It has to have a rain shell, though if it rains in earnest, I'll throw the poncho over both of us.
It also needs to allow for easy access to my important stuff. I don't want a pack that only has a top opening.
For footwear, I want something light. I've been debating on whether or not I want waterproof shoes. They come in handy when you're walking in the rain but if rain gets inside, they take forever to dry. I might be better off with breathable, non-waterproof shoes that can dry overnight.
I need to think more on this matter.
We're looking to take the Camino in late April or early May, so we have lots of time to find the right gear, though we want to acquire everything with enough time to break them in. I've already started training by walking every day, and it would be nice to get to a point where I can load up a backpack, strap on the shoes, and do test runs well in advance.
It's been a long time since we've travelled with so much stuff on our backs, and we've never done what we plan to do, so we need to be prepared. Starting now just makes sense.
Stay tuned.

Comments
Post a Comment