Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fashion Police

Today, I was supposed to start my 365 project, where I was going to take a photo of myself every day for the next year. But I've decided that I'm not going to do that because forcing myself to take a photo everyday, instead of when I'm inspired to do so, is not my style. It becomes work, instead of my passion.

Also, I hate taking self portraits.

Also also, I didn't want to subject you to 365 photos of me. Who wants to look at me every day?

The trouble with coming up with a new self portrait for each day is finding new angles, new poses, new facial expressions, and new things to wear.

I don't have the most inspiring wardrobe, but I find my clothes comfortable.

They're also not particularly colourful, as I tend to lean towards black, grey, brown, and some navy. I have some clothes with colour, but they are limited and I'd have repeats quite often.

I wouldn't fit in well in Toronto.

At least, not according to what the Toronto Police Service would want me to wear.

According to a news release that came out yesterday, the Toronto Police have started a "Do The Bright Thing!" campaign that aims to reduce the number of citizens that are injured or killed by motorists. In this campaign, which runs this week, pedestrians are encouraged to wear bright-coloured or reflective clothing so that they can stand out to motorists, thereby avoiding harm.

I'll let that sink in a moment.

People on foot must take care in order to avoid being hit by drivers.

According to the press release, Superintendent Gord Jones of the Toronto Police Service, Traffic Services, said, “The need to be aware, alert and visible at all times on any road, even in the most routine circumstances, is a key component to ensuring your safe arrival at your destination."

I'm sorry, Gord Jones, but what about safe, responsible motorists keeping their eyes on the road and being aware of their surroundings? Shouldn't drivers be watchful of all pedestrians, whether they're brightly dressed or not?

Shouldn't the police be cracking down on aggressive and poor drivers, rather than putting the onus on potential victims?

What's next week? Warning convenience stores to make their stores look less attractive to would-be thieves? To reduce the risk of shoplifting by carrying crappy stuff that no one would want?

I understand that the number of shitty drivers is staggering in Toronto, but I didn't realize that the police were too lazy to crack down on them. Or come up with some solution that actually made sense. Like setting up patrols at troublesome intersections and fining drivers who pass through them recklessly.

And what if someone is struck by a car this week and isn't brightly attired? Will the cops just wag a finger at the victim and say "Tsk, tsk. You should have put some thought into your wardrobe. You were asking for it."?

Or what if someone is brightly dressed but is struck anyway? Will the cops point and say, "No wonder you were hit: that bright-green scarf and yellow vest just didn't work for you. It's no surprise that the driver didn't want to look at you."?

Word up, Toronto Police: as long as there are shitty drivers in your city that feel they are entitled to own the road and are more important than every other driver on the street, people are going to get hit.

It's not fashion sense you need on your roads: it's common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment